Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A village with heart

It hardly seems twelve months since the last AGM of Pembury Parish Council. But last night, around fifty local residents turned up at the Village Hall to hear the Chairman, David Coleman give a potted history of the Parish Council's achievements over the last year.

Then he graciously handed over to me to give a County Councillor report. I praised the Parish Council - genuinely and sincerely as they really are one of Kent's best - and the three Borough Councillors. Working together, we've really been able to deliver improvements for the local community.

I talked about my school assemblies, my visits to churches and care homes, my campaign for a lollipop person, the network evening that brought voluntary organisations together, and the £9,500 I've managed to give local charities and organisations throughout the village.

And now the Pembury mini-LAA, which could bring real benefits to Pembury residents and net the village £25,000 into the bargain.

Paul Barrington-King, one of the Borough Councillors rode from Tunbridge Wells to Wiesbaden to raise money for the new play area, and last night he presented his cheque for £2000.

It was a great evening for Pembury. It's a village with heart.

No comments: