Sunday, May 4, 2008

Licensed to speak English


I received an envelope on Friday from the Civil Aviation Authority. Opening it with trepidation, I mused on what it might contain.

Was it a request for a medical examination? A 'telling off' for flying in controlled airspace? Maybe a stern warning that I must fly more hours to keep my pilot's licence?

No. It informed me that the CAA now had an international obligation to meet 'new requirements for Language Proficiency', and that all pilots and navigators now needed to be assessed in their command of the language used for radio communication.

My Pilot's Licence now has to include an additional slip which proved I was proficient in speaking English.

CAA Language Proficiency Check? That's the first time I've passed a test without actually taking it...

No comments: