Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New month, new responsibilities

At the end of my holiday last week, I received a call from the Leader of Kent County Council, Paul Carter.  My pulse quickened slightly; was there a social care tragedy back in Kent?

The Leader explained that there was to be a Cabinet reshuffle, and he asked me to give up my role as Cabinet Member for Adult Social Services, instead taking responsibility for Regeneration and the Supporting Independence Programme.

I agreed, although my sadness at leaving Social Services is equal to the excitement with which I approach my new role.

All weekend I have received calls, emails and texts congratulating me on my new appointment. There are some very kind and gracious people around, both at KCC and elsewhere, who have all promised to support me along the steep learning curve ahead.

The Norfolk Broads were wonderful, but as someone once said, a week is a long time in politics.

No comments: